Sunday, March 30, 2014

Spring Mittens

With spring on the horizon, I decided to try something new and join a knit-a-long (KAL). What is a KAL? Well on the fiber art community known as Ravelry, one can find patterns, follow designers and join groups and from here people come up with KALs for people to follow within a certain time frame on a specific pattern. I was intrigued by this KAL because it used self-striping yarn, which I've never knitted with before, and it was for some basic mittens that would be good to wear this spring. So I decided to join in on the Linden Mittens KAL by Jane Richmond to knit myself a pair of mittens (and be entered to win a skein of yarn). The KAL lasted two weeks, March 10th-24th, and I was able to complete my mittens on time, despite working eight 10-hour days in a row during the two weeks (yes, I said eight 10-hour days)! I'm pleased with the finished object as the color will go well with one of my jackets, plus they are shades of green and very spring-like, which I'm in dire need! This project may have even introduced me to a new addiction of self-striping yarn, so I'll have to try knitting some socks soon. Here are the photos of my progress over the two weeks, of which I really only knitted on them for four or five days.








I would also like to take some time in this post to say a goodbye to the family cat that we've had since I was in elementary school. She would have been 19 years old this year, but unfortunately my mom had to put her down on March 26th. Rest in peace Cricket aka "Big Kitty," you will be missed.





No comments:

Post a Comment